Monday, September 27, 2010

It's autumn time, it's autumn time...the leaves are turning gold...

Fall in Alaska. We were almost too late taking pictures, they aren't quite as gold as they were a week ago.

If you click on the photo you can see the vibrant red of the salmon. Salmon make their way to the ocean and spend about 4 years there. Then they swim back to where they were born to spawn their own little ones. Once they have laid their own eggs they die. Sad, huh? Out of the 40,000 eggs laid from two fish only two survive other fish eating fish, and fishermen, to make back to spawn again.

A little friend we met on the trail. He stayed frozen like this as we walked closer and closer to him. Finally when we thought we could reach out and touch him, he flew up into the safety of a tall tree.

I wish we could have seen one from afar. Some of you might remember walking on this trail.


We woke up to a very cool 27 degrees this morning. We all are thinking it is just a little too cool too early in the year. It did warm up to 37 degrees. I guess I am adjusting because I thought it felt great when I went to the grocery store today. Just a tiny little nip in the air.

We had the most wonderful, glorious, beautiful fall. The sun decided to come out and play about mid August. Bryan's second day of school to be exact. A milestone like that is unlikely to be forgotten after the rainy, cloudy, down right yucky summer we had. It warmed up too, and yes, we were able to go outside without a jacket on. We kept trying to get out and try some of the trails around here while we had this good weather to enjoy, but a few things got in the way, like BYU football, Stake Conference, and general "to do" lists. We finally got out last Saturday and walked the small loop at the Eagle River Nature Center.

Sunday morning we woke up to snow flurries, for a minute we thought it was going to get serious, but fortunately it didn't. We are watching the mountains for termination dust. It will be a sad day when our fall weather comes to a close. It is fun to look out our front window and watch all the people walk up and down the street. Everyone is out taking advantage of every good day we have left.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are coming to terms with the cold - at least for the time being. We have had unusually warmer weather here and have been enjoying our soccer games without a jacket still! However, we started freezing at nights a little more than a month ago! Have a great fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I posted a comment but I must not have hit "post". We are still in Washington but are in the wind down of our trip. We leave for home in 2 weeks. We enjoy watching the salmon here, too. It is an amazing journey for them and it makes me a little sad, too, but I have decided that when they come home to die it fulfills the measure of their creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had about 4 days of rain, but dang if it wasn't back up to 80+ today!

    ReplyDelete