Saturday, September 4, 2010

Alaska State Fair

Fair time! The Alaska State Fair attracts people from all over the state. It is a topic of conversation everywhere. We joined some friends in the ward and went last weekend even though the gray clouds didn't look promising. It started sprinkling as we stood in line to get our tickets, but that did not put a damper on the fair goers. The fair grounds were packed with people out to check out the displays, entries, entertainment, food, and rides.

It always pays to be prepared for any kind of weather here. A little (or a lot) of rain is no excuse to stay home.

The famous large vegetable display.

Sitting by the 916 pound pumpkin and not my best hair day - but hey, it was raining - did I already mention that? Look at all the ribbons. The vegetable weigh in was held the following day and we were told a farmer was bringing in a 1200 pound pumpkin. Imagine how much bigger these could have been if the 31 days of rain had of been 31 days of sun. These big babies are started in greenhouses in April.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that's what I really want to see; gray skies, jackets and rain gear. Seriously, it looks like you guys are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been fun to catch up on your blog. I haven't been getting on my computer very regularly this summer ... too busy doing nothing and loving it! I love the cute shoes for the quilt. That's a fun idea to copy! I am so ready to do lunch again!

    ReplyDelete