Sunday, February 21, 2010

Land Ho!

We have actually been listening to the sound of water dripping this last week. Dripping from the eaves and down the rain gutters. The dripping outside Bryan's window was enough to send him to the couch one night so that he could finally get some sleep. Our temperature's have been above freezing for the first time since our first snow fall. One morning we woke to a very nice 45 degrees, but usually it has been hovering right around 34 degrees. It's amazing how warm that can feel. It is almost jacket weather here.

A few of our night time temps have been fairly "warm" as well, but not all of them. Thursday morning it was down right cold. That causes problems with all that melting snow we have. The roads become one big sheet of ice. That morning I thought I would head out to my quilt group only to find that if I did brave the icy road and made it down the hill to the church, I would not be able to make it back up. It was tough to give up a morning visiting with the ladies, but in the name of safety I did.


Look what we found under all that white icy coldness. We have shrubs! And that is definitely grass blades that you can see peeking through. It is just so exciting! We see a little bit more each day.

We are trying so hard not to get our hopes up and think that spring is really on it's way. March is supposed to get really nasty here, so we are just enjoying each warm day as we get it. Hurry Spring, we can hardly wait!

7 comments:

  1. The snow is starting to melt here too but Spring can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the site of green grass poking through snow! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is Ditto - to everything, jacket weather, snow melting, spring fever! The green looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of summer in Alaska, I've always imagined it still being covered in snow for some reason. Congrats on your green tufts, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a hose end sprayer and a couple of playground balls in the back yard on Saturday. Who know what else we may find as the snow melts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I almost feel for you, but then I look out the window and still see snow. In fact, it's snowing right now! We have had snow on the ground continually since the middle of December (at least on the north side of the house) and you know how rare that is in Kanab. Anyway, here's to better days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have rain ... what a wet month! And of course, our roof leaks!

    ReplyDelete