There are a lot of fun events during the whole week in anticipation for the beginning of the race. Snow sculptures, dog pulls, dog sled races, running with the reindeer and more. Saturday we put on our heavy coats, wool socks and boots, gloves, hats, and scarves and joined some members of our ward to take in some of the fun.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Fur Rondy
It is Fur Rondy in Anchorage. The week is filled with lots of fun events to celebrate the starting of the greatest race in Alaska. The Iditarod. This race begins in downtown Anchorage. Snow is brought in and spread along the streets, much like the dirt that is spread on flood street in St. George for the Dixie Roundup. It's an exciting time and one that everyone has been talking about for weeks.
There are a lot of fun events during the whole week in anticipation for the beginning of the race. Snow sculptures, dog pulls, dog sled races, running with the reindeer and more. Saturday we put on our heavy coats, wool socks and boots, gloves, hats, and scarves and joined some members of our ward to take in some of the fun.
We had a prime spot to watch the outhouse races. This is a look at the Cool Runns.
There were two entries compliments of the military. This is "The Craptor"
And here is Start to Finish. There were some imaginative entries. They raced two at a time and you can see that this one is #25. There were some 35 entries so we didn't stay around to see the finish. These Alaskans know how to get out and have fun even in the middle of winter.
Just a couple of prospectors we passed on the street.
You gotta love all that fur. Everyone (but us) wear their fur during Fur Rondy. This is one place you can flaunt it without being picketed by animal rights enthusiasts. Rick bought my coat for me while I was in St. George, it might not be great to look at but it sure keeps me warm. I wear it when I am going to be out of doors longer than it takes for me to go from the house to the car.
We enjoyed beautiful fireworks at 7:00 pm. It was so weird to think that the last time we watched fireworks was on the front lawn at Gilbert's house in our shorts enjoying a hot summer night.
The carnival even comes to town. Stay tuned for the Iditarod. Now that the Olympics are over you've gotta have something to watch, right?
There are a lot of fun events during the whole week in anticipation for the beginning of the race. Snow sculptures, dog pulls, dog sled races, running with the reindeer and more. Saturday we put on our heavy coats, wool socks and boots, gloves, hats, and scarves and joined some members of our ward to take in some of the fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, that's quite the event! It seems so strange to see everyone all bundled up like that! It would be so hard for me to get used to it. I think snow is beautiful if I am inside looking out but I think my days of having fun it it are well past now.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! The Fur Rondy sounds like fun. You'll have to make sure to get some fur hats for next year.
ReplyDeleteI had a cool reply to this post yesterday and I thought I posted it, but apparently it vanished into thin air or something. Anyway, nice coat, Liz. If its all right, I hope to never have to have one like it! I had a similar one in Cleveland and don't miss it at all. Looks like fun, tho.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, that's quite a hunk of a man leading your moose!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, looks like so much fun. but we have had a lot of rain and I love it when the sun come out. I am not sure I could handle the no sun. So it sound like Zach and Bryan are making plans! that is great. I have commented on some of the other blogs so read those as well. We are finally getting settled and I am so grateful for the storage this house has. Charles brought home some dirt... we are going to try gardening( we have the room now) ha ha??? we will see. I think of you so often living here and sure miss you and would love to have you come for 3 week this summer as well( hint Hint) Alex is getting Married on the 16th of June???? crazy ha Well better get to bed. Quilt up a storm for me. If you run out of projects I could airmail up my apple quilt, or the quilt of the month quilt or the 2nd Christmas quilt.. or the or the or the get the picture ha ha . Keep looking for spring. Cleola
ReplyDelete