Remember how I was bragging about seeing green?
It has snowed for four days now...I guess we should have believed
them when they said March can be YUCKY!
I am not really at the "I hate this" stage yet.
We have so many more day light hours now that I just count that
as the biggest Blessing.
*********
It has snowed for four days now...I guess we should have believed
them when they said March can be YUCKY!
I am not really at the "I hate this" stage yet.
We have so many more day light hours now that I just count that
as the biggest Blessing.
*********
We had Stake Conference a week ago and had been informed that we would want to be there to hear the BIG news. Of course we all wondered what it could be...Ward splits, (we do have a large ward), new stake president. What??? Maybe they were going tell us that we were going to a two hour block:). No, none of the above.
What did happen is that the church (meaning Salt Lake) decided to dissolve the Bush District. The Bush District took in all the villages and small towns of all of Alaska. Several couples in our ward were called to the Bush, much like some members were called to serve in the Shivwitt Branch. The Bush was divided up into the Stakes of Alaska. We now go as far north as Nome and our Stake Boundaries are 1000 miles from North to South, not sure how wide east and west we are. The stake has been given a larger operating budget so that the Stake Presidency can visit these places once a year.
In order to make these outlying areas feel more a part of the stakes, they will be able to watch conferences and leadership meetings on closed circuit TV. Which we already know is done all around the world. The exciting thing is that we will be able to watch the branches as well as they will be able to participate by giving prayers or talks, etc...So it will be going two ways. Kind of exciting to be living in such a time that this can be possible.
One bit of trivia: Alaska has the third largest percentage of Mormons in its population in the United States, after Utah and then Idaho.
What did happen is that the church (meaning Salt Lake) decided to dissolve the Bush District. The Bush District took in all the villages and small towns of all of Alaska. Several couples in our ward were called to the Bush, much like some members were called to serve in the Shivwitt Branch. The Bush was divided up into the Stakes of Alaska. We now go as far north as Nome and our Stake Boundaries are 1000 miles from North to South, not sure how wide east and west we are. The stake has been given a larger operating budget so that the Stake Presidency can visit these places once a year.
In order to make these outlying areas feel more a part of the stakes, they will be able to watch conferences and leadership meetings on closed circuit TV. Which we already know is done all around the world. The exciting thing is that we will be able to watch the branches as well as they will be able to participate by giving prayers or talks, etc...So it will be going two ways. Kind of exciting to be living in such a time that this can be possible.
One bit of trivia: Alaska has the third largest percentage of Mormons in its population in the United States, after Utah and then Idaho.
1000 miles? That's crazy! I thought our stake boundaries were large but it's just a peanut compared to yours!
ReplyDelete-bob
2 hour church... sign me up!
ReplyDeleteYou're not alone. Each time our lane dries out, here comes another storm to keep it interesting. Maybe I should go into weather forcasting!
ReplyDelete