It can be a little interesting living here in Alaska. It is like living in a foreign country sometimes. The military considers this an overseas tour of duty. So it is just not us that feel separated from the rest of the lower 48.
We had a sister speak in Sacrament Meeting today. She and her husband were assigned to the old Bush district. I don't have any idea what her calling title was, but she gave a little insight as to what it was like. Because of the distance and lack of roads into and out of many of these places, meetings were conducted by phone. She expressed how even though she gave many, many talks, they were mainly by phone. The reception was not always the best, but this was the only way they could conduct their meetings. I was touched by her testimony when she expressed that even with that handicap, the spirit could always be felt.
We got a small taste of how remote some of these places are when we drove the last two days of our trip here. Huge expanses of mountain ranges with no human life in sight for mile upon mile. I can't imagine living in a place where we were dependent upon everything being flown in or trucked in, including the water.
A lot of the natives claim that Anchorage is not Alaska. I don't care. I am glad that I live right here, smack dab in civilization.
At first I thought your post title refered to George W.! Sounds like your having some new experiences in the church. Hey, maybe you'll get called to the Stake and see more of Alaska than you bargained for!
ReplyDelete