It seems like a dream now, but Mom and Dad and Sharon really came to visit! It was so good to have them here. We enjoyed every minute of our visit with them. Mother worried that they wore us out, but I am sure the opposite is true. There is a lot to see in Alaska, and we wanted to make sure they got a sample of our new state home. For any one who wants to know, Dad seemed to enjoy it all. The following are a LOT of pictures of proof that they were here.

They here!!!

This farm is owned by the church and is leased to an individual. It is open for the public to come and pick. I couldn't resist the idea of having some raspberry jam so I took advantage of the help. Mom and Dad look right at home here. We put up 18 pints of freezer jam the following day thanks to everyone's help.

We keep saying that the Matanuska Glacier is a 45 minute drive up the rode from us. Anyone that has gone with us will probably argue that and win. It is more like two hours...long enough to feel like you are never going to get there, but the drive really is worth it. We even gladly pay the $15 per person fee just for the opportunity to get out and climb around on it. We keep saying that you have to pay to play in Alaska.

A close up view.

Spencer in a crevasse.

Inside of the crevasse. The crevasses really are that blue. It as to do with how all the colors are absorbed except blue. For a real explanation of how it all works, ask Bob!

I can't believe Sharon found a place to sit. I must not have gone far enough.

Dad was a little concerned about walking out to the glacier, but once on the ice he kept going and going. I was the one ready to turn around. I think Dad did really great for being 82 and walking on nothing but ice. Mother had her trusty crossword puzzles with her and waited in the car for us. I only hope that one day I can have half the patience she has. I do have a crossword puzzle book, so I'm getting there.

We tried to find this lake when Bob, Shayla, and Analee were here but we just didn't keep walking far enough.
We took two days to drive to Seward and back. This is a pretty drive that follows the Turnagain Arm and shows off a lot of Alaska's countryside. Once there we took a little cruise out onto Resurrection Bay. The whole time the folks were here it was cloudy and rainy, but even with that you get to see quite a bit.

At the Seward Military Resort. Luckily we get to take advantage of the lower rates, (mind you we are at the top of the fee scale, but still better than any of the motels in town)

Seen from the cruise boat.


The folks.

Just waiting for our turn on the boat.
We were a little sad that the sun did not cooperate. It was rainy and drizzly most of the week. We did have a little sun shine Sunday morning, so we drove up the mountain above Eagle River to see the view. It's there that you can see Mt. McKinley on a clear day. The one thing Dad would have really liked to do was see that mountain. Thanks Sharon for coming up with Mom and Dad. It was so good to have my parents here. No matter how old I get I still want my mother!
Coats in summer. My dream. (Not!).
ReplyDeleteFor a guy that was dragging his feet, all Dad can talk about is their trip! They had a really good time.
That's a nice picture of you and dad with the mountain in the background.
Also, it looks like you and mom shopped at the same store for your jackets (in the last photo)!
Nice pictures, all of them.
Costco! Mom was nice enough to get me one for my birthday. I don't think you can have too many coats up here. Since the folks left we have had beautiful shirt sleeve weather! Wish they could have come a week later.
ReplyDeleteJust think though, mom and dad have shirt sleeve weather all the time, so it was something out of the ordinary!
ReplyDelete