Friday, August 20, 2010

Which Shoes Would You Choose?


As I have mentioned before, I thoroughly enjoy going to quilt group. We have a great bunch of ladies of all ages that meet most Thursday mornings in the culture hall at church. The young mothers pack in not only sewing machines and their current projects but also their babies, toddlers, scooters, push toys, and walkers. Some days it can get pretty noisy with the children zipping up and down the gym floor. We manage to set ourselves up in a corner out of the way of the mayhem, and only occasionally will you hear a "Watch out, stay away from the cords!" I am glad that I have just me and my machine to get up to the church. We have worked on table runners, Halloween quilts, bigger better bags, had a few weeks trying to conquer applique, ugly bunnies, and a month crocheting beanies. Sometimes we all work on the same thing and sometimes some will bring in their own projects.

I don't know what it is but I am just not as fast as some of the other ladies. I am still working on my Halloween quilt that we started in March! Mother would say that I talk too much and yes, there is some of that...But, in my defense I have also done some other projects in between all the others I just mentioned.

In January we all received 20 squares of white fabric and went home to design our own shoe of choice. Earlier this month we had a pot luck lunch and brought our finished squares to swap. Here are just a few of what I came home with--okay most of the shoes I came home with. They were all so cute I just couldn't pick a few.

I just loved the stilettos and fishnets. The uppper right is the unofficial footwear of Alaska women, Danskos. I had never seen these before I moved here, but it almost makes you feel left out if you don't have your own pair. (I am saving up!)

Loved the high top sneakers...30 eyelets in those babies, and wouldn't it be fun to have a pair of rain boots like those?

I bet if you think back on your childhood you can tell what the upper right one is. The lower left is a mukluk trimmed with real fur.

Any guesses as to which one I did? I finally settled on one that reflected my heritage, not that I ever wore any, but it makes me think of family and where I am from. Now to stitch them all up into a quilt! Just after I get my Halloween one done! We have already chosen our theme for next year--Alaska! We take great pride in this state.

(Sorry about the pictures, I just realized they are blurry...but it takes me so long to blog, I am leaving it the way it is. Also long, I know)

6 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you did the cowboy boot, as I don't think there is a heritage if pink stilettos and fishnets in the Schmutz family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute. but wait... I am confused, are you guys all making just one quilt or did you all have to make like 10 squares so everyone could have one... Very cute idea no matter how you look at it though! (Love the boot!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made 20 squares of the same shoe, then traded so we each ended up with 20 different shoes. Then we can each make our own quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gotcha. Thanks for the update! Are the "bigger better bags" the bag you gave me for my birthday. I LOVE that bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the shoe quilt idea! and they turned out so cute. We want pictures when it is completed and the Halloween one as well.( YOU know it is just around the corner) ha ha. Dead lines. . . Go for the first of October so you can enjoy it during the month. As for me I start school again tomorrow, What I am I doing to myself? Why am I doing this? I would rather be quilting! so Please think of me and enjoy for me and share all your cute projects. Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be a Relief Society thing. I'm waiting for pictures of Mom and Dad enjoying sunny Alaska!

    ReplyDelete