We started up the Pacific Coast Highway today. Rick was a good sport and let Bryan and I sleep in a little after our late night and took Spencer to the airport for his flight back home. Once he came back to our motel room we loaded up and found our way to the LAVPC, or Los Angeles Vehicle Processing Center. We had about an hour's wait while Rick took care of all the paper work and whatever else so that our Suburban could be shipped to Alaska. Then we piled into the 4Runner which felt pretty small after our spacious Suburban. We spent the whole day driving up the coast until we took off on a detour and followed some mountainous road. We were a little confused all day about which road we were on, but we did okay since we were always headed north.
We traveled as far as we could possibly stand staying in our car. We loved watching the ocean and seeing the waves hit the shore. There was such a contrast between the ocean and the mountain roads. We had hoped to see the sights in the Big Sur area, but by the time we got through there it was dark. I finally gave out and went to sleep, but Bryan and Rick opened the sun roof and could hear the waves of the ocean crashing against the cliffs. We made it to Monterey at about 10:00 pm.
We took a scenic tour of Monterey after getting a room for the night, trying to find something to eat. A GPS is a great tool to have until you take a wrong turn and "she" has to recalculate. For some reason she never says to turn around and go back the way you came. She just keeps say to drive .3 more miles and .3 more miles, and.... After about 30 minutes of this we found our motel again.
Our plan for tomorrow is to get up and drive, drive, drive to make up the time we lost get the Suburban processed.
Bryan kept trying to get the classic Southern California shot and this one fits with the grove of palm trees.
Our GPS does the same thing... but every once in a while she'll tell us that we need to make a "U turn" and go back the way we came, which can sometimes be nice, unless you can't really make a "U turn".
ReplyDeleteWe made plenty of U-turns on our trip out east, either that or the GPS would say, "recalculating", and we'd drive around for a minute with no idea where we were going 'till she figured out where we were and how to get us to where we needed to go! We staarted calling her "Lia" (suggested by Shayla's parents), short for Liahona, because she told us where to go and how to get there.
ReplyDeleteOk I finally found your blog! I must say I shed a few tears! I miss you already! But glad you are having a great adventure! Keep us up on how is going! I am going to try to put you as a friend on my blog... but I have not quite got that figured out yet so I may have to go by way of KC to Bobs to you! Any way good luck sorry we missed the high priest ice cream social to say our last farewells! so just know we are thinking of you and we are here if you need any thing! love the Besss
ReplyDelete