Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas Morning 2009

Christmas morning, bright and ... well not so early for us. Spencer called us on the phone (from his bedroom next door) at 8 o'clock and asked us if we were ready to get up. We felt a little lazy, how could we not get up in the wee hours on Christmas morning! But, get up we did and had a nice little morning of unwrapping gifts and enjoying each others' company.

This picture is a little dark, but I think you can see the handwork (the backside anyway, but you get the idea) that is done on this quilt top. Mom cross-stitched this years ago and gave it to me for Christmas. I loved getting something that she did. I feel connected to my mother and through her to my grandmother, and I suppose on to my great grandmothers as well. I think of the hours that we have each sat in our chairs and taken a needle in our hand to create something for our children. I have an image in my mind of our times melded together into one and we are all in the same room busy stitching away. Anyway, I laughed when I saw this. Quilting this will certainly keep me busy during my long winter evenings, just as soon as I finish unpacking all those boxes that are still scattered around the house.

Spencer is hoping that one of these boxes has a lap top in it. (He wasn't disappointed.)

Rick getting excited over unwrapping a box of Hot Tamales. We were laughing because he is always so sneaky about hiding his presents in "other things" and then getting a big kick out whether we can find the "real" gift. He totally did NOT figure this one out. By afternoon the boys were asking if they could have a hot tamale, and still he didn't get it. It took a few broad hints and all day before he found the itunes card hiding inside.

The boys had to open this...

...to find this! Thanks Robert, this is one gift that Dad and Bryan will use a lot! I will be more than happy to not bug them to give me a turn:)

Bryan had to follow the clue into the crawl space so that he could...

...find this! Santa went out on a limb when he brought Bryan such a wild looking snowboard, but not to worry, REI has a great return policy. Bryan spent a lot of time researching and looking and now he has the board that he really wants.

Sorry no cute pictures of cute little kids, but this was our Christmas and it was a good Christmas. We hope you all had a great one as well.

6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth: I was just going to put some more of our Christmas stuff away and found your card. Thanks so much for the cute card and letter. Sounds like you are becoming quite Alaskan. Love your blog~~~although, I'm not sure I would enjoy the ice and snow that you are having. Hope all is well with you. Happy New Year to each of you.... Ron & Julie Ellett

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a good Christmas, even if there weren't any little kids running around! I was felling a little sorry for you guys in your cold weather when we woke up this morning. It was 19 degrees outside! I don't know that our heater has ever had to fight such cold weather before! And it was sooo cold in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you guys had a good Christmas in spite of being so far away. I still have a hard time comprehending how far away you are! I'm glad you're in a house now and don't have to worry about that anymore. Danny got a snowboard for Christmas as well (actually before Christmas) and has been up to Brian Head already a couple of times and the YM/YW are going this Saturday. It looks like Bryan will have greater opportunities for longer (!) to snowboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had a good Christmas. I hope Brian likes his Black Powder gun as well as he likes his snow board. Have fun talke to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the quilt top from your mom! I have one started that looks similar that my mom was never able to finish and i have not finished it either! maybe someday! I sure miss doing sewing projects together! did you get your quite books done! I sad to say did not! maybe for next Christmas ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun to read your blog and see how things are going there. I miss you so much! It looks like your Christmas was nice.

    ReplyDelete