Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunshine and Blue Skies

Last Tuesday morning I was sitting in my rocking chair checking my email and reading my favorite blogs when I felt the living room brighten up. Huh? Did I feel that? Did I leave the light on and just now noticed? Nope!!! I looked up and saw the sun streaming through my living room windows! It was beautiful (more exclamations marks!!!!!) I quickly put down the lap top and ran over to the window and soaked it all up. We have had sunlight every day since.

Being as we live at the foot of the mountains and up in a little valley, I have missed seeing the sun come out along the horizon like we did while living on base. Here's proof that we do have blue skies and sunshine in Alaska.



The sun is just beginning to peek out from behind the small peak to the left. We timed the sun today and we could actually see it for almost a full hour, between 11:03 to 11:58 am. Hooray for small blessings! I am keeping my fingers crossed that by mid February, the sun will clear the larger peak on the right. What do you think my chances are?

Just a side note: We drove up to Wasilla, (home of Sarah Palin) to visit their local Lowe's hoping to purchase some storage cabinets that were on sale there. It is a nice little 1/2 hour drive along the Knik arm. Wasilla is located right at the edge of the water and is very flat. The clerk told us to enjoy the 7 hours of sunshine. For just a tiny bit there I was wishing we had bought a home out there. I was thinking that Rick's double commute time would be a perfect trade off for having longer days of sunlight. But then we walked outside into the bright, windy sunlight. Yeah, that wind which is almost constant out there is a huge drawback. I'll take where we are at over that icy cold breeze any day.

1 comment:

  1. Those are nice pictures, Elizabeth. I posted a blog today about clouds and sunshine with some pictures of the storm clouds we had a few days ago. http://grandmahenke.com

    ReplyDelete